Green's Hill-Amy Lane's Home - News

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The Backlist Ba-Dump-Bump

Okay-- I admit.

I had visions of this being a HUGE list, like *Kermit Flail*--and then?

I got my first submission, and realized that maybe not so much--because what I had in mind for this was something a little more personal, a little more in depth--in fact, a little more like THIS submission from Alexa Milne.

Which, by the way?

Really makes me want to read her book!

Welcome to the Backlist Ba-Dump-Bump.  I'm going to try to make it a new mid-month feature on the blog--if you are a writer and you'd like to contribute one of these, I'll accept them between the 4th and the 14th of the month. I'll try to put out an all call, but either way,  I'll need you to send me your book cover as a .jpg attachment, as well as your blog post explaining your inspiration, your buy links,  your inspiration links, and your book blurb much like Alexa did-- in the body of a Word Doc.  

And seriously-- her example is perfect. Tell us about your book and the things that made it special. Tell us why this item from your backlist is remembered fondly. Tell us why it should be remembered all over again--

Welcome to the Backlist Ba-Dump-Bump-- let's give this feature a "Sporting Chance"!


 *  *  *

Sporting Chance

by Alexa Milne

Sporting Chance was my first original novel and came out in November 2014. They say write what you know, and what you enjoy, so teaming together a rugby player, Dan Morgan and a teacher, Iestyn Jones, seemed obvious to me, but I wanted this story to be about keeping hold of love not a coming out in sport story. Around the same time, I started writing Gareth Thomas, who had been captain of the Wales Rugby team, came out. It was such a brave thing to do, and there are still few out rugby players, but more than there are football players. When I was writing the scenes including matches, I used the 2012 Six Nations tournament as my inspiration, although I did change the order. Wales won the Grand Slam that year beating all the other five teams. The video linked below shows the highlights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObKumFYWzV8
Book Blurb

Sometimes keeping hold of love is just as hard as finding it.
Dan and Iestyn are looking for romance. A school trip, a love of history, a wedding, a tango, the game of chess, and their friends and family all help the two men to realise that they’ve finally found true love with each other.
Iestyn thinks that he’s completely ordinary and that Dan is the only out and currently gay rugby player anywhere. Being gay can be difficult enough. Being famous also has its problems. But being gay, famous and a sportsman can make finding love complicated. So when Dan Morgan meets Iestyn Jones and gives him his phone number, their road ahead has more than a few bumps to overcome.
Will Iestyn and Dan overcome the obstacles thrown in their paths? Or will fame destroy their lives as well as their love?


1 comment:

Alexa Milne said...

Thanks for featuring me, Amy and all by myself.