Green's Hill-Amy Lane's Home - News

Monday, April 14, 2008

Sorting the Tangled Skein

A bunch of random stuff today--let's start with the title.

I've managed to wreck three skeins of sock yarn this weekend. The first one was my fault--it was tricksy, splitsy stuff to begin with, and when I didn't like the way the toes were working, I tried to frog it in the middle of the kids doing gymnastics. This is a bad move-- there is only a finite amount of time Ladybug can do gymnastics before breaking line to come and see if mom has taken this 45 minutes to haul ass for Jamaica or something, and sure enough, she came up to me in a hugging frenzy in the middle of frogging two skeins at the same time. The resultant mess is not epic, but it is annoying, and it makes the second mess just a little more tragic. I wasn't really fond of that first mess of yarn--but the yarn I asked Chicken to wind for me...THAT was a skein of Schaeffer's Anne, in the color scheme Hermione, and although I've been trying to get on Sock Yarn Only all day, their server is down, and the tangle that is my ALL TIME FAVORITE DISCONTINUED COLOR of Anne is sitting in a plastic bag, breaking my heart. Roxie, darling, if you're listening, I'll take you up on your offer now. My pride is broken. I love this color and I don't want to thrash it, or diminish my project hopes because it got tangled and I don't have time without cats or kids to unmess it.

*whew* That was a lot more emotional than I thought it would be. I'm glad I got it off my chest.

Anyway, that being said...

I also went to the dentist today--along with about four other errands, like picking up books from the post office from a friend (who may or may not stalk the blog--Mary, darlin', if you're out there, I got the books-e-chat you later!) getting Ladybug her pink-eye ointment (ICK), getting the Cave Troll's dentistry stuff signed (they were CLOSED), picking up lunch for Mate, who stayed home with the kids since pinkeye was involved, and buying milk because with this many kids, they don't even have to open the refrigerator to go through a gallon. It just osmoses through the steel door, the air, and their pores, and two minutes after you get home from the store, voila, no fucking milk.

The dentist office--now that was a trip. I am a big fat baby when it comes to my teeth--as I told my dentist, I have melodramatic teeth, and he agreed completely. So imagine my surprise when the assistant comes up to me and says, "I'm just gonna pop off your temporary now," when I had no anaesthetic whatsoever. I was thinking, "Geez, lady, a one night stand would at least kiss me first!!" I didn't say it, of course, but I know my eyes got big, and then the pain followed, along with the whining and whimpering and, as a whole, it sucks. I never dwell upon the suckage when I go to the dentist, I just let it surprise me when I get there, and I've got to tell you, I was in for a whole lot of nasty surprise before I left today. And then it went away. I guess that's the good thing about not putting a humongulous needle in your soft gum tissue before doing something minor, but during the visit, I was an unhappy little knitter, that's for certain. (They love to watch me knit there...it's cool. I'm a fiber rockstar at the dentist office, when you all know that I'm a a garage band player at best on the blog:-)

And then I came home and took a nap. A looooong nap. Because you know what? Sometimes a day off is worse than going to work!!!

5 comments:

Saren Johnson said...

There are always days like that. I feel that way today, and I'm at work.

Julie said...

If you want to send me the yarn, I'll untangle it with an eye toward custom-dyeing more for you. e-mail and let me know.

And I'm trying to get motivated to comb the Goob's puff-ball hair in preparation to washing it. Depending, I'd rather go to the dentist.

roxie said...

Oooo, yarn barf! Yes, yes! Send it to me!

I, too, and a big baby about my teeth. It doesn't have to hurt, so why should I be a big girl and just sweat through the pain? They won't do it, but I would like nitrous for the cleaning, and work the drugs up from there.

Galad said...

Thankfully you have good friends who will take away the yarn pain for you. It shall be tangle free again.

I'm glad you survived the dentist with the trauma resolved fairly quickly. I've had so much dental work done over the years thanks to poor genetics and have learned to cope but still don't like it. Next time I go I think I'll suggest Roxie's drug strategy :-)

NeedleTart said...

AS a child, the family dentist (now that I think of it, Mom and Dad both wore dentures and The Brother was enough older that he had left home. Hmmm) was a sadist of the first water. "Drill for a filling? You don't need anything for that! Suck it up!"
Today, I am with Roxie. Gas for the cleaning and up from there.
Glad you could get a nap and didn't have to go back to school after.