Green's Hill-Amy Lane's Home - News

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Why I don't tell you guys what I cook...

Happy Thanksgiving, first of all! My link button is still missing, otherwise I'd give you a link to Roxie's new book--a thing I, for one, am especially thankful for. Besides being a constant, inspirational source of support, Roxie is one helluva writer--and her character, Sanna, is a spunky delight and I'm so thrilled to be able to meet her again!

And speaking of being thankful, besides the obvious--family & home--which I never cease being grateful for from the bottom of my toes, I am also, today, supremely thankful for the all of you. I could not ask for a better bunch of people to talk me down from the Crazy Woman Writer tree, with the branches of Fucking Neurosis. The words of support yesterday were much appreciated...and I can now, for the first time in months, leave the book where it belongs--in the computer and not taking over my head--and since we're going visiting for Thanksgiving, I'd say that's where it belongs.

And speaking of visiting--people have been sharing their recipes, and it's so generous of them and I feel like such a complete loss as a human being because I've got nothing to offer in return. Then I thought, 'Hey-I actually DO cook for Thanksgiving--I'm warming up my stuffing right now.' But there's a reason that this doesn't actually register in my head as a recipe. Let me give you my uhm, recipe, and I think you'll understand.

You will need:
Onions--as many as you like.
Celery--a bunch, chopped
Four rolls of safeway sausage. Any flavor.
Uhm, six, eight, twelve, two boxes of stuffing. I was cooking for two families--I forget how many we used. Stove top, Mrs. Cubbins...I just threw them all in together.
Boulion cubes. This year, it was as many as Ladybug could unwrap before I stopped her.
One small bag of brown sugar.
1/2 a clove of garlic
Garlic salt & lemon pepper

Step one--Fill pot with water. Throw in bullion cubes, brown sugar, chopped celery and the garlic, crushed. Allow to boil, turn down, keep warm.
Step two--cook the sausage. When sausage is cooked set it aside, chop the onions and cook them in the sausage grease.
Step three--dump all the boxes of stuffing into a bowl. Dump the sausage and onions on top of them. Dump as much of the broth (and all of the celery) into the bowl until the stuffing is moistened to your taste. Mix well.

Throw the resulting glop into a casserole dish and cook with foil, or use it to shove into a dead bird and cook that.

And that's my own personal recipe for sweet & spicy stuffing.

Rachel Wray I ain't, although I did crochet the Martha Stewart poncho for an aunt once. It's as close as I'll ever come:-)


Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I'm grateful for my lovely family, my psychotic life, and all of you.

6 comments:

Saren Johnson said...

You cook like I do. Glad you're getting the book out of your head.

TinkingBell said...

Happy thanksgiving to you too - relax, eat, drink wine!!

Donna Lee said...

Sounds easy and um, delicious. Yea, that's it, delicious. I hope you all had a great day. It was almost 70 degrees here. My husband and my daughter worked on her car and I sat outside and did some knitting, in NOVEMBER! without a coat or sweater! and it was warm. At this point, it is cold again and I can feel the weather change. I'll have to look for Roxie's book. I haven't read it yet. Something to look forward to.

Em said...

The stuffing recipe sounds tasty, and just like the way my momolla cooks (add some flour, then a little sugar, and stir it til it's done. it'll look done, that's how you'll know.).

Hope you and the whole tribe had an extraordinary day, in the good sense of the word.

Galad said...

Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving and enjoyed your feast.

roxie said...

I love how you cook - generously and by instinct! And I love how you write! Hope the thanksgiving has been a delight and all the littles have been angelic - or at least non-toxic. Happy malling!