Green's Hill-Amy Lane's Home - News

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Sh... It's blocking

I'm going to be honest here.

I'm a horrible knitter.

All the strengths I have in crochet-- stitch regularity, gauge precision, pattern awareness, structural awareness--completely desert me when I go from one hook to two sticks.

I can't even explain it.

And the thing is, I love the knitting process so much!

Crochet is big movements and elbows, and knitting is just tiny hands.

So the sweaters I crochet are better designed than this.

The colors are better situated. The construction makes so much more sense.

They're not nearly as drapey.

The gauge is consistent--no huge stitches. No purple section that's a mirror to the orange section but took nearly half-again as much yarn.

But I loved making this. And I love how delicate it is. How soft. When it's wrapped around my shoulders, I feel--against all odds, considering the circus-Halloween colors--elegant.

So sh... we won't tell the shawl that it's genetically unsound. Let it think it's beautiful.





No comments: