Green's Hill-Amy Lane's Home - News

Sunday, October 20, 2013

GRL 2013

That's funny-- it doesn't LOOK like Amish Country!  And yet, seriously, with so many of us trying to use the internet, most people who've been here will tell you that if you didn't have hotspot, well, you were back to the time when cable was the most interesting thing a hotel could provide.

But, other than that?  It's been a HELL of a time.  People?  This genre is amazing.  I was just talking to Jesse Potts, one of the contributors to USA Today HEA Blog, and she said that there was so much about this genre that seemed to heal the bruises that we all incur in the bumps of normal life, and I loved that.  And the thing about our readers is that they're so very grateful for that little bit of healing that reading gives them (or, in some places, that lot of healing) that being here, with the writers who heal and are healed by their craft, is sort of a sublime thing.

Folks-- even the hotel staff thought we were wonderful.  (Mary-my-Mary's awesome husband reported that when he checked into the hotel to join us, the woman at the desk told him, "Oh yes!  There's an erotic book convention here.  It's so exciting!")  Melia Hotel?  Your internet may have pissed us off, but your service and kindness more than made up for it.  Thank you so much for everything.

So, that being said, mostly, I'm just going to show you all pictures.  Maybe with some captions.  Maybe not.  Honestly?  After a weekend like this I'm a little out of words.

 Myself, J.P. Barnaby, & K.A. Mitchell at the Angst & Pain Storyteller's panel, where, I'm told, we made people laugh.  A lot.

Myself and Tara Lain at the RRW scrapbooking panel, where nobody told me that my hair looked like a wild wildebeest had rooted there for the entire frickin' day.

A big woman in a paisley dress, along with Shannon Shell, Amy Di Martino and Damon Suede at One Enchanted Evening.

Who is that woman?  She's in an awful lot of Twitter and FB pictures! But that shawl looks TERRIFIC!  

And there she is again-- along with A TWO HEADED FROG that Vanessa North knitted for her.  I just... I'... NO FRICKIN WORDS!!! You'd probably have to be us to know why we teared up.  I know I did.


My family at home, making sure I don't forget them, and that I want to go back.  It worked.  

The dashing and incomparable Andrew Grey, along with the very creative Goblin Queen (aka Nessa Warrin, EIC of Harmony Ink Press :-)

Troublemakers, all three of them. The one in the middle is Jesse Potts, and the pretty gypsy is Mary-my-Mary

Snow White claims to be a virgin.  His little devil fairy is doubtful. (Emond Manning and Anne Tenino, Goddess love them!)

Andrew and Mary set up my swag for me.  I LOVE them.


The skyline in Atlanta and the fan who was mean to Bruce Springsteen. AWESOME. (I mean that-- it was a good story!)

Those two troublemakers on the left, as well as Nessa, Shannon, and the always elegant Nicki Bennet.

HAPPY PEOPLE!


This is the burger I ate at this awesome place called The Vortex.  Click the link, read the menu, laugh your ass off.  I shit you not!  By the way?  The white stuff is the marshmallow sauce for the sweet potato fries. DUDES.

T.A. Chase is one of my favorite people.  For one thing, she's always frickin' adorable.  For another, she and her bestie, Devon Rhodes could be the nicest frickin' adorable people I've ever met.  Love them.  And doesn't she look FRICKIN' ADORABLE?

Damon Suede and Heidi Cullinan, looking serious and prepared for our signing.


The always elegant and adorable Tara Lain, who was a joy to sit next to during the signing.

Mary-my-Mary and Andrew, who both make my world better.

Clare London, M.J. O'Shea and L.C. Chase, who were their awesome and wonderful selves.

OMG OMG OMG OMG-- The whole room heard me scream when Vanessa gave me Cal and Catherine from Clear Water.  And then I cried.  CRIED. Am still crying. Isn't she amazing?  OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG... I'm still in that place of joy.


Rhys Ford-- That costume says it all.  (But we helped, when we told the story of the Great Alpaca Roller Coaster Ride.)


The radiant Meghann Ord (right) and the HILARIOUS and wonderful K.A. Mitchell (left) mugging for the camera.  I so enjoyed getting to know them both!

ZAM. I mean, you know, ZAM!!!! And K-Lee Klein--because you can NEVER have too much awesome in one place. 
Certainly not at GRL.


*whew*

I mean-- that's a LOT right there, right?

And so much happened, I don't even know if I can tell it all without prompting.

But you get the idea.

Beautiful, awesome, amazing people.

A whole lot of wonderful things to do.

A really good reason to sleep and be happy when I get home.  




7 comments:

Jackie mcKenzie said...

I was at the Q & A with you and J.p. Barnaby and K.A. Mitchell. It was such a great time. They only thing you forgot to mention was the Yarn Riot of GRL 2013 in that Q & A! It was a blast!

JRSF said...

Isn't the Vortex awesome?! I have impure thoughts about their grilled pimiento cheese.

Donna Lee said...

I kept thinking "what fun people to dress up and let themselves go and be silly". It looks like a fun trip (good thing you had those family photos to remind you of the fun at home!) Adults in my world tend to be too somber and grown up.

Janie Friedman said...

Great googly-moogly! That menu is hilarious! I wish to ear there immediately. Where's the transporter? And GRL looks like a blast!

kristenhdavis said...

Yes, the yarn riot. I'm sill amazed that I managed to catch one of KA's yarn bombs. Now, what to make?

Foretta said...

LOL The yarn riot was sooo funny! I can't knit (or sew) but it was hilarious to watch people jump for the yarn!!! Amy it was a blast to see you again. I am always in awe of your books. There is not one that I don't just love. It is kinda hard to really pick a favorite. I have to say this year was easier since I was able to talk to you without fangirling out in my head each time I uttered a word! LOL I jokingly told my sister after our elevator mishap that if I had to be stuck in an elevator who better than Amy Lane!! LMAO.... was much better than when I was stuck by myself. Thankfully we just went to the top! ;-)
Can't wait to see everyone again next year!!!!
XOXO Foretta

Foretta said...

LOL The yarn riot was sooo funny! I can't knit (or sew) but it was hilarious to watch people jump for the yarn!!! Amy it was a blast to see you again. I am always in awe of your books. There is not one that I don't just love. It is kinda hard to really pick a favorite. I have to say this year was easier since I was able to talk to you without fangirling out in my head each time I uttered a word! LOL I jokingly told my sister after our elevator mishap that if I had to be stuck in an elevator who better than Amy Lane!! LMAO.... was much better than when I was stuck by myself. Thankfully we just went to the top! ;-)
Can't wait to see everyone again next year!!!!
XOXO Foretta