Green's Hill-Amy Lane's Home - News

Friday, January 4, 2008

Ta Da!

I didn't used to be such a pussy about the weather. Some of you may remember the post about the swimming lamas...yeah--that was me. Braving the elements, forging stoically through Mother Nature's mayhem undeterred by little things like downed trees, swimming picnic tables and the possibility of ending up on the evening news as the world's stupidest person killed in the dumbest quest for a double-cheeseburger, ever recorded.

But not so much anymore. Maybe I'm older. Maybe I'm wiser. Maybe I've trained my imagination in the vivid details of death, and as I looked outside today at the leaning trees, the waving powerlines, and the glossy ripples of turbid water splooshing across the street, all I could hear in the back of my head was the voice of the EMT's..."Gees...too bad she didn't put on any makeup before she wrapped her car around that bus...she was having the world's worst break-out EVER! And just imagine how much she'd weigh if she'd died AFTER she ate lunch..."

Or maybe I just don't like getting cold.


Either way, you may very well ask yourself what it was that made me brave the elements today. What was it that caused me to plow the crapmobile through the knee-deep puddles and the erratic debris on this soggy January 4th? What was it that caused me to go head to head with a trash can as it sailed through an intersection and made a stately left onto Greenback? What was it that sent me out in rain so thick and wet that I was sopping after a three minute go with a downed window?

What was it indeed.

I'm proud to announce to my readers that my Christmas cards have, at last, been sent.

They're a bit soggy in the middle.

11 comments:

Saren Johnson said...

Braggart!! You have to be the good sister. I haven't even done mine yet. (Two years in row now.) What is Mom going to think now?

Amy Lane said...

knittech--I had to call a friend and ask for her address and she told me I should just send the letter with a valentines card instead.

Galad said...

I hope your friends appreciate your efforts! I have a friend who considers anytime before Valentine's Day still the holidays so I think you are in good shape.

gemma said...

I'm with your sister, show off!!! I still have not sent mine. Last year i sent none at all (it was that kind of Holiday).

Cheers Amy, happy New Year

TinkingBell said...

I am impresswed! - I would have just sent an email!

The Lady in Red said...

Did you get mine? If not, it's sitting in your box at work, waiting for you!

Donna Lee said...

You went out in the storm to mail cards? I guess it's as good a reason as any...I do know that the older I get the less tolerant I am about going out in the nasty weather. I think I am headed toward being an old grumpy lady who stays inside unless the sun is out. Actually, I might be ok with that.

Bells said...

better late than never huh? LOL!

roxie said...

Hooray for you! Anyhow, historians say that Jesus was actually born in March or April anyhow, so you are well beforehand. You hero! You woman of courage! (And if your house is anything like mine, things finished need to be dealt with, or they will be consumed by the morass and not come to light untill sometime next August when you are looking for something else altogether. And who has the balls to mail Christmas cards in August?)

MadMad said...

LOL! (OK, that is possibly the lamest comment ever, but the peoples are bugging me too much to be able to concentrate...)

ismarah said...

i went back to the mother country for the holidays and promptly at 9pm on Christmas Eve came down with the grandmother of all flus.

Whilst the antibiotics helped and the throwing up from coughing helped me lose weight (yippee) over the holidays, I will never live down the fact that having moved overseas, I am now 'soft'.

My mother, the wielder of scorn, will not forget this for years to come and I can look forward to this being brought up for years to come.

For cryin' out loud - the weather wasn't even THAT bad!