Green's Hill-Amy Lane's Home - News

Saturday, February 17, 2007

5 Random Things

* Thank You, Kitty--I don't know this person, or even if she reads the blog, but she logged on to Barnes and Nobles and totally raised my cyberstreet cred by writing two great reviews for VULNERABLE and WOUNDED--between Kitty and Robin, I don't feel like such a total loser anymore, and that's a good thing!

* I had two kids who I was sure hated me come in and talk during lunch on Friday--they appeared not to hate me by the time they left. They're in my AP class, and I must admit, I missed such occurances.

* Just when I thought I ignored the media, I had a total West-NIle virus panic attack when I took the little ones outside and we got besieged by mosquitos. Nobody ever told me that OFF, instead of warding the little bastards off, is actually like cilantro sauce to the blood-sucking virus-fuckers. (I need to watch who I say that about--someone might think I was talking about my District Office.)

* My publishing company--the one I PAY, btw--has conveniently forgotten about my books. That's my only explanation for a book that was supposed to come on line in 2-3 weeks 4 weeks ago not arriving at my door or on amazon.com. I want my fucking book copies, I want them now, and I want someone to give me an ice cream sundae and a pat on the head for making me wait. I also want the 2 (count 'em) agents I sent to over six months ago to reject me like grown ups instead of using my manuscript exerpt as lining for their hamster cages and then sending me a courtesy note sometime in the next three years. I also want world peace. I'm not holding my breath.

* Mother of Chaos and Rae are having REALLY BAD WEEKS. Good bloggy thoughts for them--better ones than what we sent to the wacko with the punctuation fixation, please, we LIKE these people!!!

*Robin said something about "I need to get a book or something" about knitting--
I would recomend (sic?) one of the DVD's (you can find them at Michael's, Joanne's, Beverly's etc.), that one whose name I've forgotten which is a full color step by step photo layout, one page per step, and the Yarn Harlot's KNITTING RULES, for starters. Follow it up (over the course of a year or so, a little bit at a time, after you're drunk with your own power and expertise...)with Vogue's 3 Stitchionaries and Nicky Epstein's Knitting Over the Edge, and then the Big Book of Stitch patterns. What do you think? What are your favorite knitting books?

5 comments:

Kitty said...

I do read your blog actually! :) It cracks me up. I had to preen a bit that I was noticed lol. And no thanks necessary, I wouldn't have made the reviews if I didn't mean them. Love your books - you rock! Write more!! heehe

roxie said...

My knitting really took off decades ago when I picked up "A Treasury of Knitting Patterns" by Barbara Walker. I don't think I could have gotten my Master Knitter's certificate without the "Vogue Knitting Book." And there was a magazine years ago called "Mon Tricot," that just ignited my imagination with every issue! They had a column of "French Grandmother's Tricks" that were completely brilliant solutions to common problems. ie, Don't rip out to the one wrong stitch in your faire isle sweater. Just correctly duplicate stitch it in later.

Louiz said...

Knitting books. Erm. Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting without Tears. Montse Stanley's Handknitters Handbook (I think this is a uk only book...) Barbara Walker's Treasuries. Probably more but I can't think of any other if I only bought 1 I'd get this one books.

Catie said...

i keep going back to the "Knitting Answer Book" It is compact in size and has useful info.

CP

Robin said...

It is so hard for me to believe that agents are not responding to your books! Are they idiots? I love, love, love your books and was so thrilled to see that its finally available. Also, thanks for the advice on the knitting books. I'll check out the DVD's too. Thanks