Green's Hill-Amy Lane's Home - News

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Quirky, Odd, Random Thoughts

Thought the first: It's funny--after the post about the gun, I've heard from two people who said, "Did you call the police and report the gun anonymously?"

Now, I'd like to say, "I thought of that, but since I looked at the kid and there aren't a lot of people my size/shape/coloring wandering the neighborhood, it wouldn't be as anonymous as I'd like to think," but I can't.

Truth is, it didn't occur to me. That could be because I was twenty minutes from home when the whole thing occurred. It could be because I don't carry a cell phone with me. It could be a couple of things, but I think what it came down to was almost as disturbing as the gun itself.

Truth is... the truth REALLY is, that when I talk about the bone-deep distrust I have for authority, I am not kidding. I used to think I exaggerated. I don't believe that anymore. The idea of calling the cops didn't hit me until someone brought it up to me nearly 24 hours after the whole thing happened. I guess all my hype is true--I really don't trust people in power. That includes administration, policemen, government, and all big corporations. This could be a bad thing or a good thing, depending on your point of view, but I don't know if it's a CHANGEABLE thing, if you get my drift. Who knew?

Thought the second: Ten days left of school. Can I get a woot? A whoop? A holler? Don't worry--you'll hear them all from me, June 12th. I'm ready!

Thought the third: Mate and I will have been married for 20 years on June 17th. Today, we took the kids to see UP. For those of you who have seen it, or who are going to see it, if you've been married for any length of time at all, the first 10 minutes will break your heart. Don't believe me? Mate's eyes were pretty damned bright after the first 10 minutes, and I was sobbing like a kid. Must say, I thought the movie was wonderful--even with the beginning.

Thought the fourth: I got taken to dinner last night by a nice person who read my books and got in touch and then we met at a signing--and then we went and saw Star Trek. I've got to say, she's a fun person to see a movie with--she laughs loudly, claps enthusiastically, and gets the jokes you whisper in the middle of the movie. She also doesn't mind sitting on the end so I can take my pee break in the middle. (Every movie. It's a fact.) I like her--I'm gonna keep seeing movies with her. Wheeee!!! I've got a friend! (But next time, darling, dinner's on me!)

Thought the fifth: I'm in the difficult phase of the book. The, "I'm never going to finish it, and even though I know how it ends, I don't know if I can go on" phase. I know I'll go on--so far, I'm five in five--and I like the way this puppy ends... but sometimes writing's harder than just typing shit up, you know?

Thought the sixth: My family is watching MTV movie awards. They're pretty damned funny--just sayin'.

Thought the seventh: Spaznado boy just handed me a sad picture of himself. After he didn't share his toys and played too hard with his little sister, she decided he wasn't enough fun to play with. Go figure!

Thought the eighth: Pushing Daisies was on last night-- one of the last three unaired episodes. I really loved that show... (not as much as, say, you know, that one with the veal, but I loved it...) so I'm glad Chicken taped it last night to watch... which I'm going to do... right now!

Happy evening!

6 comments:

Donna Lee said...

It hadn't occured to me that you should have called the police. I live in a small town and there is no such thing as anonymity. I would worry about your safety because I do not trust those in authority to keep you safe.

Only 12 days! You can do that standing on your head.

roxie said...

DH and I discussed your experience. I remarked that I might have picked up the gun with intent of having a throwaway gun.(always prepared - that's me) He, being a lot more streetwise, told me that a.It was probably used in a drive-by or some other crime. b. the bangers might object to your intervention. He, having lived in rough neighborhoods in LA, said that you did exactly the right thing and your survivor instincts are right on! Be invisible and don't let them know where you live.

roxie said...

PS, Re: thought the fifth; of course you will finish this! You just made the mistake of raising your head and looking at the path ahead. You know you'll climb this mountain. Just take one step at a time.

Julie said...

I don't think I distrust authority, I just don't have an idealized view of it. If you'd called the cops, even if the cops had the best intention in the world, there's really not a whole hell of a lot they could do about it, even if they picked up one or two kids for a few days. And there you are stuck with having made an anonymous call (which is never anonymous any more) against kids who carry automatic weapons.

Um. No.

Maybe they'll blow themselves up making meth and you won't have to worry about it. (Knocking on wood and looking around cautiously.)

Good luck on getting through those last few days. As I remember they're both the best and worst days of the year.

Galad said...

You are on the home stretch for school. Keep your eye on the time off ahead :-)

I probably wouldn't have called the police either. My husband (the defense attorney) said the same thing as Roxie's husband. You did the right thing by just continuing your walk.

Have a really good week!

NeedleTart said...

Daddy was a cop and so was Elder Brother, in spite of that I don't (really don't) trust the local cops. Reason? Elder Son was mugged and the locals wanted to arrest him for making a false report. Seems all teenagers lie in my town. You did the right thing.
We have three days left (and since I only cover real teaching days, I have one canyagivemeanamen?)