Green's Hill-Amy Lane's Home - News

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Randomonium...

(Thank you, Scooby Doo Two...)

Anyway, thanks everybody for the wonderful suggestions--I'm thinking I'm going to do a website, and thanks to Catie's excellent ideas, I'm going to put some of my older short stories on it. (And thanks for LIR, who, bless her, sent me an cool idea for setting up my own web-site. Let's see how I can *&^%up something that's supposed to be supposedly very simple, yes?)

We took Ladybug and the Cave Troll to see the Wiggles last night at Arco Arena--it was a lot of fun, although the Cave Troll spent a lot of time with his 'potato face' on--he was all eyes, and not a lot of dancing. Didn't matter--he was enchanted through the whole thing, and loved the crap, I mean souvenirs that I bought him...well, my plan was to buy one for him and one for his sister, but he loved the light wand, and much to my surprise, appropriated the Dorothy the Dinosaur. I went (because we ARE made of money when at such events) and bought a Big Red Car for him to have instead of Dorothy the Dinosaur, but he eyed it speculatively, ran it over his leg to see if the (stuffed) wheels actually work, and then gave it to his sister, because he didn't like it as much as Dorothy, and, hello, he can talk and that gives him the advantage.

We left the older kids alone, with the following admonition: "Lock the doors, don't answer the phone unless it's us, Auntie Wendy, or Grandma and Grandpa, and don't open the door for anyone but Auntie Wendy, Grandma or Grandpa, or that ax wielding psychopath I e-mailed about you guys being home alone."

"Mom, there aren't that many ax wielding psychopaths--but there are a lot of gang members three blocks down, and we won't let them in either."

Good. I"m glad they're up on both their sarcasm and on their zeitgeist... they're coming along nicely on the whole.

For that matter, so is the uber-bright baby blanket...fucking intarsia. Seriously...(and did you notice that blogger doesn't think 'intarsia' is a word? Whose entrails do we have to turn into potholders to get a little zeit-fucking-geisty respect around here?) cotton intarsia. Who put the hallucinogens in the chamomile-lavender air-freshener, folks--what in the hell was I thinking?

And, while I'm bitching about my 'sane' hobby (as opposed to writing, which mostly just makes me an exposed nerve bundle, ready to hit the ceiling at the slightest hint of carpet static) I need to add, I'm on my LAST pair of baby socks for a while. They're for a student, and I feel that they are forcing me to violate that whole knitters code of ethics that says we knit love into every stitch. All I can think as I knit is "Dumbass kid, dumbass kid, dumbass kid..." I actually LIKE this kid--I think it's just that A. She is 16, skinny as a rail, and looks, simply, like she swallowed a basketball by mistake--and envy is a dirty little monkey riding my back, B. She's really not very bright, and I worry about them when they're like that with children--life's just harder that way and C.I'm starting to really dig this yarn and I want to work on a project with it for MY family, sometime AFTER the second try at socks for my Aunt's b-day (the one in Sept., where the SOCK got stolen w/my purse) and AFTER I actually use Julie's sock yarn which I'm rapidly falling into a severe case of unrequited ardor with. I just want to work on shit for myself, now is that so very wrong?

But other than that, things are also very right--I've got time to go Target shopping without the children (thanks to a minimum day) and I just enjoyed lunch with grown-ups...I mean, it's almost criminal, how much the Goddess is gifting me with today, and heavens forbid I should waste it. That, and it's looking like rain--Spring is not nearly so cruel when it rains.

11 comments:

NeedleTart said...

Mmm, Short stories? I look forward to it. BTW check out the b-day presents I gave myself. If,that is I get around to posting tonight, maybe tomorrow.

Rae said...

AAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

I'm not ignoring you, just busy at the new job!!!!

On the self-promotion part, I didn't read the comments to see if anyone suggested this, but the only thing I could think of was to try and get the books on some reading group lists. I think that's a pretty lame suggestion, but truly, it's the only suggestion I could think of. Back in the days when I knew how to read, I LOVED my reading group and discovered so many good books through it. Books I would never have cracked otherwise. Anyhoo, that might be a possibility.

As for the baby sock, well, the circumstances are sad, no? But at least baby socks knit up quickly. You'll be through them (hopefully) in no time. Probably faster than it took her to get pregnant. (really, should I say that??)

LOL on the kiddies. Like mother like children.
;)

Rae said...

BTW, I just put two posts on my blog. Both appear as question marks in the title. The first title is, "This is so cool" and talks about the mitred square blanket over at January One. The second is for Julie, exclaiming, "Blogger, you Fucker!"

LOL.

Hopefully blogger will play nice soon, and I can post more than just question marks. :)

Amy Lane said...

I'm dying to hear about the new job and the mitred blanket too...btw, I've got some beautiful leftovers I could send you--I've made two pairs of baby socks and hat out of it, and quite frankly I'm just done w/it as yarn, but it's bright and terrific and needs a home...(and I just posted over at your site wondering what those bizarre pictographic symbols are over your post..."Blogger You Fucker" indeed...

Catie said...

I'm concerned that the book description over on amazon.ca is a bit of a spoiler:

Cory fled the foothills to deal with the pain of losing Adrian, and Green watched her go. Separately, they could easily grieve themselves to death, but when an enemy brings them together, they find out what a great and terrible force love can be

Now without knowing who Cory and Adrian are (yet) I know that by the end of the present book (vulnerable) they will be separated.

Amy Lane said...

Yeah--I had to write that carefully not to give away the whole ending of VULNERABLE--believe it or not, that was as good as it got, but I honestly couldn't figure out another way to word it. (I guess my hope would be that anyone looking at WOUNDED had already read VULNERABLE, but I've been reading books all my life and I know that doesn't always happen.) I think I got better at it by BOUND, but I did some serious learning in between...

roxie said...

Sounds like you had as much fun at the Wiggles concert as the kids did. Dorothy the Dinosaur? OoooooKay!.

Best of luck with the website. I look forward to it!

Blessings on the little mother and God help her children. Life is hard enough with two adult parents.

roxie said...

Sounds like you had as much fun at the Wiggles concert as the kids did. Dorothy the Dinosaur? OoooooKay!.

Best of luck with the website. I look forward to it!

Blessings on the little mother and God help her children. Life is hard enough with two adult parents.

Susan said...

I fucking hate fucking intarsia.

It's crossed my mind before today too that few of the things I make for gifts have "love knit into every stitch" mostly because I get so surly when a project gets to that I'm-knitting-and-knitting-but-I-don't-see-this-thing-getting-any-bigger stage. Pretty soon I'm cursing the process then sitting there steeping in guilt wondering if my accursedness is soaking into the gift and liable to cause colic in its recipient. (The mystery is solved. It's not a digestive problem. Rather, colic is caused by ill will stitched into boring baby blankets by overtired, overextended, easily distracted crafters.)

I can't begin to tell you how fucking much I fucking hate fucking intarsia.

Amy Lane said...

Goddess bless you, Coach! I always wondered about colic, and it's so good to know I"m not the only one who thinks that the designer of this blanket was smoking something I don't even want to know the name of. (btw, everybody--I'm still reading your blogs even if I only post answers at night. That visual verification glitch brought to you by my work computer is still very much a colossal pain in the ass...)

NeedleTart said...

Hey, Coach, Intarasia *and* bobbles? Sounds like your knitting tastes and mine are closer than ever. Blank-ing bobbles!